Sunset

Sunset

Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Instant Oatmeal???





Oatmeal, it's such a simple dish to make.  Or is it?

I grew up eating instant oatmeal, and strawberries and cream was my favorite flavor.  It was so easy to make.  You heat up the water, tear open the packet and pour the oatmeal in a bowl, then you'd pour the hot water in the bowl and stir...Instant oatmeal...???

Why is it so thin and soggy?  The oats are still tough and crunchy.  Oatmeal used to taste good.  What happened?

So I stopped eating it anymore until recently when I saw it in the grocery store.  Decided to try it again.  After all it's been years.  How bad could it be?  So I bought a box and brought it home.

Okay, here we go.

- fill cup with some water-check
- pour packet in bowl-check
- heat up water-check
- pour water in bowl and stir-check

Now let's taste...ugh...gross!

Oh no, not again!  Why????????????


Suddenly I had a thought, "Maybe there's something in the directions that will help me."  Hmm, the box reads:

-fill packet with water or milk to the line on the packet
-pour water or milk in oatmeal
-stir oatmeal
-heat oatmeal in the microwave

Fill packet with water or milk to the line???  What line?
Oh, that line!
Now let's try it this way...
Yay!!!
 If I lost you with my oatmeal story here's the point.

When we think we know something or assume that it needs to be this way you get this.
 A big mess!

Have you ever had a conversation with someone and you thought that your way was correct and no one else's opinion mattered?  Sadly I've been guilty of that, a "few" times. ha-ha

I was remembering how "it's always been done."  How many times have you heard that phrase or maybe you've even said it yourself?

When we're rigid we become hardhearted or, if you'd like another word for it, pigheaded, stubborn, bullheaded, headstrong.  Okay, I think you get the point. :-)

If I'd kept making the oatmeal my way instead of following the box's directions it wouldn't turn out...period!  No matter how many times I'd try!

Maybe if you've been trying something and getting the same results over and over again it might be time to check the directions again or try to hear what someone else is telling you in a different way.

Now, doing the same thing over and over again.  There's a word that describes this, hmm...
What's it called again?  Ah yes, insanity!

Quit behaving insanely and try to look at the issue differently.  Maybe ask God if He would tell you again what He said so you can check if you missed anything.

I had the right ingredients, but when I changed the way to prepare it...
I got this! :-)
"He who has ears, let him hear..." (Matthew 11:15)

May this message be a Blessing in your lives and mine. In Jesus name, Amen! :-)

Maria







2 comments:

  1. Great analogy for wanting to do things our way instead of God's way! Thanks for sharing this reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! We have a lot of fun putting these articles together. Very happy you enjoyed it.

      If you like these kinds of analogies there are plenty more in my new book Thyme and Seasonings Volume One: Time to Make a Cake

      We are posting articles every week. If you're interested in receiving them you can sign up on our mailing list too. :-)

      Delete