Sunset

Sunset

Wednesday, August 3, 2016

It Doesn't Have to Be

It doesn't have to be the way that you think something works out.  As long as it does...

I used to believe this.  I have always been known as the encourager.  The one that lifts others up when they are feeling down. 

What if you find yourself losing strength to keep doing that?  What if you start to lose faith in what you have always believed? 

When I was watching one of my favorite movies called Kickboxer I realized something.  My favorite part of the film isn't when the battle is over.  To my surprise the part that I liked the most was when Jean Claude Van Damme was training for the battle.

That is when it struck me.  As an encourager my job is to be one of the cheerleaders shaking my pom poms up in the air when a believer is in the 'endurance' phase of their lives. 

I realize that not everyone is made this way. 

When my son plays a video game his favorite part is when he fights a boss.  Mine is my character's journey to get to the end of the story.  Not as much getting in battle with the main villain.

When I realized this recently it has caused a lot of things to make sense about myself.

1.  I have always cheered for the underdog. - maybe it is because I have felt like one myself???
2.  I have always believed in second chances. - Everyone messes up at times.
3.  I like the struggle to be better. - Seeing someone transform into who they are becoming is wonderful to see.

Then it occurred to me.  Is it only about the 'struggle' that I like?

 Every person has been given a different calling in their life.  None are more important or more glamorous than others.  Each one is needed equally the same.

It has taken all this time for me to realize that part of being a warrior is to encourage and inspire those around you.  To cheer others on when they want to give up.

Well, what if the person that needs to be lifted up, is you!

I started something recently that has caused me to do a lot of thinking about direction in my life.  I was a highly independent person for a long time until something happened.

Which it always does.  Doesn't everyone have a 'something happened' in their lives?  Maybe even more than one 'then something happened'. 

What do we do with them?  Do we throw them away?  Keep telling ourselves that nothing happened and go along like everything is okay? 

Will it make everything better to not admit out loud that something happened?  Does is make the pain any less bearable to stay in denial?

What do you do with the pain?  Do you bury it?  or...let's think for a moment...what if...you...Use it!

I find it interesting that some of the most beautiful parts of nature involve pain.  Think about birth, or better yet, think about surgery.  It takes pain to heal!

What is the main attitude that you see when a person has a challenge to face.  That he/she doesn't want to do it.  Well, I don't either.  I admit it loudly.  There is a lot that I don't want to do, even when I know it is good for me.

Now how about this for a thought...what if 'everyone' felt the same way?  Then nothing would get done. 

Now think of one of your favorite stories.  Where is the struggle?  Is it a love story, a business feat, or an inner struggle that the main character faces?  Where does it stop!

I believe very strongly that when I get to the other side of the struggle that I won't be the same person anymore.  This is because struggle changes us.  For the better or the worse, but it Does change us.

Struggle doesn't have to be a terrible thing.  It can be good when used wisely. 

Jesus said "Come to Me all you who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest.  (Matthew 11:28)

What are your struggles?  Where do you feel helpless and at times hopeless?  Will you join me in believing that you can overcome whatever you are facing in your life? 

Jesus said that He will give you rest when you need it.  Are you going to continue fighting the fight?

Are you not going to quit?  Are you going to believe Him?!

Keep persevering!  Don't quit! 

Keep on keeping on!




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the words to continue in my struggle. God is pointing out how selfish I have become and what needs to change. Yes, it is going to be a struggle to do things not to make me appear "good" but to do them for the pleasure to serve my Lord. I can see the change and it is going to be very good.

    ReplyDelete